Thursday, November 10, 2011

So, this past Sunday...I went to Colonial Williamsburg with one of my good friends, Sarah. I've always wanted to go down there for the longest time. I feel so blessed to live in Virginia, a state with so much RICH history. Jamestown was the very first settlement, and I remember reading about it over and over when I was in elementary school. I'd like to visit that next. But in the mean time, Williamsburg was first on my list to check out!

Living back in the 1700 and 1800's was no joke. Walking around in the town square was like taking a BIG step back into the pages of History. I definitely felt out of place at times because it was primarily white ppl (which I suppose made sense because that's just how it was back in the day). Either way, I intended to make full use of my day there to re-live history, as well learn more about how they lived back then---with no electricity, women having no RIGHTS whatsoever, and horse carriages as a means of transportation.

This was one of the very first things to greet us as we made our way into the town square. Isn't it so neat-looking? It made me think of adding a fake plastic horn so I can make it my very own unicorn! ;)

We were able to buy bonnets! It's hand-made by a local woman who lives closeby. I always try to support local business and talent. That was definitely one of the things I wanted to check off my list in Williamsburg. I felt so silly wearing it because EVERYONE was decked out in legit colonial gear. We looked like posers! But I cherish my bonnet! For Christmas, I have already told everyone that all I really want is a long, red flannel nightgown. That way, I can pair it with my white bonnet and go to bed looking like a Colonial woman! The nightgown would have to look something like down below (but no blue in it, please! I just want it to be red with maybe green lining):


I know it looks fugly. But I wanna be comfy and nice & toasty (warm) as I'm sippin' on hot chocolate in the winter.





Anyway, while we were there...we decided to hit up one of the Taverns for lunch. On the destination map provided, it had advertised as serving "authentic" colonial food so we were sold! The uncomfortable part for me, at least, was once we got there and were seated...I noticed that our waiters were black. But here's the part that pissed me off, they were wearing raggedy clothes and I guess they were supposed to be slaves or something? Now, don't get me wrong! While I understand that it's suppose to be as close as it can be to historical account...it STILL made me feel very uncomfortable. I wish they had switched it up with white waiters as well. Here it is in 2011, and I am stuck in an environment back in the 1700's where things were totally different than it is today. Definitely a culture shock for me.

The food was really delicious...I guess that's all I really have to say about the Tavern. Great food, uneasy ambiance...
 Homemade bread with softly churned butter



The sandwich was seriously LARGER than my entire face. I got a turkey, lettuce and tomato sandwich with the most zesty, tasty infusion of herbs and spices in my coleslaw (the yellowish looking thing sitting to the left of my sandwich). Even the chips were crunchy, crispy, and flavorful!!


HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at Sarah. Look how legit this pic woulda looked, IF ONLY she didn't have her iPhone in her hand. Aggh, she ruined it with the insertion of technology in the photo.


And here we are, about to be beheaded! Look how happy we are =) Hey, if death were to come...there ain't no avoidin' it. Might as well go out lookin' fresh!



Then we ended the day with a sweet carriage ride. It was $20 for each person...and it was only a 15-minute ride. Kinda pricy but it really added to our colonial experience!


Anyway, that was just a quick re-cap of my weekend. I am so excited! Tomorrow is Sarah's birthday and we are going to Clarendon to celebrate. I can't wait! I have been starving myself for the past week so I can fit into the dress I bought 2 weeks ago (BAD CHOICE! I should have known never to buy a dress for a big event TOO early on, because guess what? Us girls' weight fluctuate soooo crazy! What fit me 2 weeks ago, I'm strugglin' to zip up now. I told myself, fuck it! I'mma wear the dress if it kills me! I don't care if I have to wear that dress with only the zipper half-zipped up. I'm going to rock it no matter what!) I hope you all have a lovely weekend planned ahead.

I'm sooo excited about the SEPHORA VIB event as well! I'm planning to take FULL advantage of the 20% off this weekend. I already have my list set up of things to get. I will do an entry really soon of the products I plan to get and maybe a mini-review, too. :)

1 comment:

  1. ok now you make me want to go.... I want that pajama dress!

    ReplyDelete